The StoneBridge School athletic program recognizes the Word of God as its foundation. Under the direction of the administration and the athletic director, each sport has been designed to build the character of Christ within each participating student. Every athlete is taught to be a representative of Christ, StoneBridge School, and his or her family. The athletic program focuses on the core values of character, confidence, cohesion, and competition.
Below is a list of team sports available for students in 5th-12th grade. Please note that all students playing team sports are required to complete the Athletic Physical Exam Form.
- Girls' Volleyball--Fall
- Boys' Soccer--Fall
- Boys' and Girls' Cross Country--Fall
- Boys' and Girls' Indoor Track & Field--Winter
- JJV, JV, Varsity Girls' Basketball--Winter
- JJV, JV, Varsity Boys' Basketball--Winter
- Boys' and Girls' Golf--Spring
- Boys' and Girls' Track & Field--Spring
- Girls' Soccer--Spring
- Girls' Softball--Spring (tentative)
- Boys' Baseball--Spring (tentative)
Open to the community, all boys and girls in grades K4-8th can sign up for Basketball Junior Leagues in the fall. This ten-week training program serves as a developmental program for all future SBS basketball players, and serves as a model of SBS Athletics values--character, confidence, cohesion and competition. Our Baskeball Junior Leagues meet on Saturdays, from September through November. For more information about our Junior Leagues sports, please contact Ms. Sheri Thomas.
Soccer Junior Leagues
Open to the community, all boys and girls in grades K4-5th can sign up for Soccer Junior Leagues in the spring. This eight-week training program is designed to provide an opportunity for boys and girls to learn and experience the joys and benefits of sports. For more information about our Junior Leagues sports, please contact Ms. Sheri Thomas.
The following athletic facilities are available to our students:
- Gymnasium with state-of-the-art scoreboards, concession stand, and bleachers
- Weight room
- Soccer/softball complex
- Access to track and baseball field
StoneBridge competes in the Metropolitan (Metro) Athletic Conference, which includes the following schools: Alliance Christian, Broadwater Academy, Hampton Christian, Isle of Wight Academy, Portsmouth Christian, Denbigh Baptist, and Atlantic Shores, as well as the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association (VISAA) conference in basketball.
Following are some of the highlights of our past few sports seasons:
- Varsity Basketball - StoneBridge is the ONLY private school in Hampton Roads to win the VISAA state championship for both girls' and boys' basketball (2007 and 2009)!
- Track & Field/Cross-Country - Coach Mike Rose won Metro Coach of the Year in 2008
- Swimming - Two StoneBridge swimmers received the 2008 Academic All America Award from the National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association (NISCA); girls' swim team state champs in 2007!
- Boys' Varsity Soccer - The StoneBridge boys' soccer team won the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) award for the 4th year in a row, for the 2006-07 school year.
- Girls' Varsity Soccer - For the 2nd year in a row, the girls' team also won the award. StoneBridge is one of only 60 schools in the nation and four schools in Virginia who received the Team Academic Award for both the boys' and girls' teams.
As part of the philosophy of StoneBridge Athletics, we do not focus on one particular person as the "Most Valuable Player," because we believe that each participant in our sports program is valuable to his or her team. As a result of the philosophy of developing Christian character, we award our student-athletes with the awards of Leadership-Servanthood, Perseverance, Loyalty, and Most Improved. These awards (in the form of engraved trophies) are presented to the students at a special awards banquet held at the conclusion of each sport's season.